Case Spotlight: Salt Toxicity

Gryffin, the handsome Dobie received some quality time with Dr. Garrett after he was brought in because he ate his tiny human’s homemade play-dough. Turns out- he was suffering from salt toxicity, as many homemade play-doughs are made with salt!  Here is some helpful information about salt toxicity: 
🧂 Salt toxicity can be a life-threatening condition for companion pets, as they are exposed to high levels of salts.
🧂 The most often reported reasons for salt toxicity in dogs is ingestion of homemade play dough, ornaments, rock salt, or table  salt.
🧂 Gryffin presented with vomiting, lethargy and increased/inappropriate urination.
🧂 Treatment of salt toxicity is inducing vomiting to empty stomach contents and receiving high doses of fluids to flush the salt out of the body.
🧂 The most serious symptoms of salt poisoning are neurological. 
🧂 Normally, pets are hospitalized for 2-3 days. During this time, they are monitored closely and blood work is completed regularly to ensure that the salt is flushing out of the body.
If there is any worry that your pet has ingested high levels of salt (or drank lots of ocean water while swimming), we encourage you to reach out to your veterinarian immediately.

Personal, Professional, Passionate Care for Your Pets